Black Mold in your Home
Many homeowners find black mold present in their homes but they are unsure of the steps that they need to take upon discovering it. Black mold presents as spotted black, clustered growths and it is usually accompanied by a distinctive odor. It is one of the most toxic molds that can be found in the home because it produces micro toxins which are capable of causing several health problems. It is usually found in rooms like the kitchen, bathroom (around the toilet and shower), and basement. It can spread around the house within 24-48 hours and can cover several square feet within a week.
Black mold typically grows in areas where it is dark and moist. These include areas where there are drywalls, paper products, cardboard, wallpapers, carpets, and ceiling tiles. Black mold forms when these areas get moisture in like in the event of water leakage, lack of proper ventilation, flooding, poor maintenance, clogged up gutters, humid basements, and water accumulation around your home. Black mold spores can also travel in the air by getting attached to people’s skin, clothing, shoes, carpets, and pets. As soon as the spores enter the home and settle on a surface, it can multiply.
Apart from being an eyesore, black mold can be harmful to your health. It is also known as the invisible killer because it doesn’t grow in places that are exposed to light. The chances are slim that you will notice it if you are not looking out for it. It is also very dangerous because it is difficult to distinguish black mold from other types of mold. You might even think it is mildew on the shower curtain meanwhile it is something far more dangerous.
Black mold is dangerous because it releases toxic spores, as previously stated, and these spores linger in the air. If the spores are inhaled, it can attack the respiratory system which causes respiratory problems. The toxicity of these spores has been proved to be detrimental to human health over the long term. Other health symptoms include eye irritation, fever, chronic headaches, sneezing, rashes, and chronic fatigue. In severe cases, homeowners might experience vomiting, nausea, and asthma. It can further affect the nervous system and the immune system. The body immediately becomes compromised when toxins enter the system.
If there is black mold present in your home, it is safe to assume that everyone living in the house is affected by it. However, some people are more sensitive to mold and will experience different symptoms simply because of genetic and chemical factors. Age and general health are also factors that need to be considered. Those who are older are more at risk especially if they already have respiratory issues. There have also been documented cases that show how black mold can negatively impact children. Because their immune systems are still developing, it could cause abnormal symptoms upon exposure.
As soon as you notice black mold in your house, you must phone a professional company that can remove it. Mold tests are the best way to detect mold in your house and to determine what the next plan of action is. Before mold starts invading your home, there are a few things that you can do to prevent it from happening:
- Musty odors are a sign that mold is present somewhere in the house.
- Windows are especially prone to mold build-up. The first sign of a problem might be condensation on the glass.
- Clean the kitchen and bathrooms regularly with a bleach solution.
- Areas, where there are lots of houseplants, are susceptible to mold especially if you overwater them.
- The ventilation of home appliances should be checked and cleaned regularly.
- Pay careful attention to areas that have been exposed to recent flooding, water leaks, leaky roofs, and condensation on the walls.
Skilled laborers... publish a Home Pro Partner profile and invite trusted referral partners to your company profile.
Reach new customers with Home Pro Partners, no lead fees, no gimmicks, no hassle.